One of my interests, stemming from my childhood in Baghdad in the 1950s, is the subject of incomers. The ultimate incomers in terms of historic Iraq were the Jews, of whom I have already posted because the story is so interesting but ultimately sad as far as the modern Iraqi Jews were concerned. The Scribe
give stats on Jews in Baghdad in the early 20th. century. And of course if you want to read all about individuals and their lives you will find many stories there.
There have been successive waves of different people who had come and stayed in Iraq, playing their part. One of these has been the Armenians. I don't really k ow what the indininous people thought of them. I would be interested to have anything along these lines.
In the years since returning to the UK, I have read about this people, who themselves have a diaspora which retain a strong identity. I even came across a site a few weeks ago with all the famous Armenians including Cher and Charles Asnavour, and many more. I'll link to it when I come across it again. But in the meantime I am putting this compilation of Amenian genocide articles
up so that it is possible to do a bit of stuying from there.
Turkey wants to join the EU, but it seems wrong that they will be allowed to do so with the legacy of the genocide hanging over them.
I have written a little story with an Armenian connection based on a miniscular moment in my life, but have found it difficult to write it to best effect, so probably present it as a working script because I see it as a series of images. Hope writing this declarion of intent will encourage me to discpline myself enough to make a final draft! It sometime works.
The Washington Times Insider
, 21 February, 2005, (free registration) suggests Israel is putting pressure on America to bomb the Iranian nuclear facilities which might be producing weapons grade materials.
My idea [already posted] was the Israelis would not do it themselves because the Palestinian problem was of greater importance. I stick by this. The logic is simple:
(1) Israel knows what is going on in the Middle East, unlike America
(2) They do not plan - this time [remember Osirak?] - to attack themselves, because it will encourage Hammas and others to send in more suicide bombers. Their major concern is how many Israelis are getting out.
(3) They have nuclear weapons themselves, so know there will be no retaliation if they should decide to bomb the Iran facilities. Oil is no good if it is irradiated.
(4) They are about to leave Gaza.
- Lets hope they leave the Kibbutzim intact, not flattening them? After all, it is American money which built them.....
- I saw a Jewish Gaza woman on BBC TV, last night, moaning about the Gaza withdrawal plan. She spoke with what I took to be a Ney York accent - I wondered why she hadn't stayed in the U.S., when (a) she problably had a perfectly good home and life in America , (B) she must have had the intelligence to realise her presence in Gaza (or indeed those Americans in the West Bank) was a red rag to a bull.
- America is at gravely at fault in allowing American Jews to immigrate to Israel. They ought to be educated, before they leave, about the consequences of their acts ( not that they would care since they are religious fundamentalists/Zionists). They ought, at least, to be told they can't come back to America unless they apply as immigrants.