author of Republic of Fear returns to Iraq
SEE latest apposite links
Iraqi human rights activist, Kanan Makiya
, author of Republic of Fear
(1989) cataloguing Tyrants human rights violations.
Makiya was always being interviewed on some US or UK channel or other in months leading to war.
Article pin-points he was:
* member of the State Department's Democratic Principles Working Group
* principal author of a draft Iraqi constitution emphasizing secularism and minority rights
* By President Bush's side in the Oval Office in April 2003, watching on television as Saddam Hussein's statue came crashing down in Firdos Square
* set-upIraq Research and Documentation project
at Harvard : collecting evidence of atrocities in Iraq since 1992
* Baghdad-based Memory Foundation
But read on.......
I wrote many weeks ago that the Interim Iraqi Government would probably use stick-carrot-stick. Washington Post claims Allawi has been talking to almost everyone, including the Iranians. You have to bear in mind that he probably won't be Prime Minister of Iraq after its first elections. So he can do what the elected PM won't be able to do.